This is a one year full-time course, specialising in teaching across the 3-8 age range with recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) upon successful competion.
You will develop your skills and knowledge of the Early Years Foundation Stage and Primary National Curriculum with the help of an expert class mentor over the 37 weeks, enhancing your skills and expertise across the Foundation Stage, Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2.
Additionally, you will undertake Postgraduate Certificate in Education with our partners at Cumbria University, via their online learning modules.
Students attend regular training seminars which are delivered by experts in their field. They also undertake considerable personal research with specific reference to their particular professional training placement.
Each student has a personalised Individual Training Plan which reflects their individual strengths and areas for development and we personalise our training to suit these needs.
Students complete two significant training placements in two contrasting schools, carefully selected with their professional training needs and future aspirations in mind. This allows them to gain long term teaching experience in each of the two identified key stages, preparing them as they begin to apply for teaching posts.
- September to mid-February in a KS1 training placement
- Mid-February to July in a Foundation Stage training placement
All of our trainees gain enhanced experience, working in either Year 2 or Year 6 classrooms, enabling them to be part of the preparation for national tests at the end of key stages.
During the year our students also visit Priestmead and Harrow Teaching School Alliance in London, where they are accommodated within schools with a high percentage of children with EAL (English as an Additional Language). This gives them the opportunity to gain invaluable and enhanced EAL training experience.
Students are assessed in an ongoing manner in a number of ways including:
- Regular formative observations of teaching, learning and assessments;
- Milestones and progress review at Training Placement 1 and Training Placement 2;
- Submission of documentary evidence of meeting each Teachers’ Standard across two different age phases;
- Successful completion of a Subject Knowledge Audit and personalised subject knowledge tasks and activities.
Programme Lead & Link Tutor
NQT Lead & Link Tutor